Gum disease is the leading cause of adult tooth loss, but A Perfect Smile in Falmouth, ME is trying to change that. Dr. Robert Nelson and his team can identify the signs of gum disease even in its early stages. With gentle, nonsurgical gum disease treatment to help get your gum disease under control, we are sure to improve your smile. Call us today at 207-536-3508 to schedule your appointment with our Gum Disease Treatment Falmouth, ME area and get your gum health back to the level it needs to be.
Stages of Gum Disease (Periodontal Disease)
There are two main stages of gum disease.Dr. Nelson on Gum Disease Treatment Read Transcript
We're very serious about treating periodontal disease in our practice. There's a big link between your oral health and your systemic health. So if you've got an infection going on in your mouth, it's going to go throughout your body.
So we'll begin with an accurate diagnosis and figure out exactly what is the severity of the problem, and then create a proper course of treatment, which typically begins with doing deep cleanings to get the mouth healthy, and we also work with the patient to improve their home care, their nutrition. Some of our patients need antibiotics. We customize a plan to get each patient to optimal health, and then maintain it.
Gingivitis – The first and mildest stage, gingivitis is sometimes overlooked because its symptoms can be subtle:
- Red, Irritated Gums – You might not notice them at first, but if you experience red or sore gums, you need to get in to see Dr. Robert Nelson.
- Bleeding Gums – To be clear, there is no reason your gums should bleed after brushing. Either you are brushing too hard, or you likely have the beginning stages of gum disease.
Many times, a simple dental cleaning and regular dental exams from our hygienists can treat gingivitis.
Periodontitis – This second phase of gum disease is when more severe damage occurs. Periodontitis progresses from gingivitis, but gingivitis does not have to progress to periodontitis. Periodontitis symptoms include:
- Pockets in Your Gums – Your gums begin to pull away from your teeth, creating pockets where bacteria and infection can fester.
- Loose or Shifting Teeth – As your gums pull away, there is less support for your teeth. This causes loose teeth, the precursor to tooth loss.
- Tooth Loss – If you leave gum disease untreated, you could lose teeth. Don’t risk your smile – get the gum disease help you need at A Perfect Smile.
Gum Disease Care Options
Our expert dental team offers two options when it comes to treating your gum disease issues.
- Periodontal Therapy – We offer scaling and root planing to rid your mouth of the harmful bacteria that is attacking your gums. We also use a powerful antibiotic that can help stop your gum infection in its tracks.
- Gentle Ultrasonics – This comfortable, quiet, and effective process is a modern way to treat gum disease.
Keep Your Gums Healthy and Your Teeth Safe
Call our dentist Dr. Robert D. Nelson, DDS today at 207-536-3508 to schedule your gum disease treatment Falmouth, ME area appointment . You can use our online form to schedule your appointment as well. Our expert dental team will get your gum health squared away in a comfortable, relaxed setting.