What is something that can help a new teacher, a car salesperson, and television news anchor?
The answer is a great smile.
If we’re being completely honest, a great smile can help absolutely anyone. At A Perfect Smile, we’ve seen the way cosmetic dentistry can change the appearance of countless smiles. More importantly, we’ve seen the emotional impact that change can have on someone’s self-confidence.
A better smile can make a dramatic difference in someone’s life. From what patients have told us, improving their teeth has given them the self-assurance to apply for new jobs, to accept or offer a date invitation, or to be more social in general.
When your teeth stop being an obstacle in your mind, then your smile can open doors to new opportunities and possibilities.
Call (207) 536-3508 today to schedule a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Robert Nelson, in Falmouth, ME.
What Cosmetic Dentistry Is
A lot of people wonder: Is cosmetic dentistry worth it? That’s a question only you can answer.
At the same time, most patients who complete cosmetic treatments tell us something similar. They wish they had done it sooner.
So many people feel embarrassed or ashamed of their teeth. This may because of an issue they can’t control — such as crooked or crowded teeth. This may be due to problems they developed such as cavities. This may be a problem like crooked teeth that they treated when they were younger but returned as they got older.
Regardless of the reason or the particular issue affecting your smile — and how you feel about that smile — you may feel compelled to hide your teeth if you don’t like how they look.
We’ve also seen how this worry affects people’s everyday interactions with each other. A person who feels embarrassed may go out of his or her way to hide their teeth.
No one is happy all the time, but people who are uncomfortable showing their teeth may actively fight the urge to smile. When they speak, they may not a tissue, a menu, or a hand in front of their mouth for every word.
We’ve also noticed that many people who are ashamed of their teeth often have trouble looking people in the eye while they speak. Instead, they look away and talk to the ground to keep their teeth as concealed as they can.
The Upside of a Confident Smile
When you feel good about your smile, this can have a profound effect on your everyday behavior as well. You can relax when you aren’t spending every face-to-face encounter worried that someone else will see your teeth.
Smiles affect us and the people who see them. In a recent survey conducted on behalf of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 92 percent of people said that smiling was a great way to improve someone’s day.
In that same survey, 88 percent of the respondents said smiling made them feel good, too.
In other words, sharing your smile can make you feel good, and it can lift the spirits of people who you meet each day.
Ways You Can Change Your Smile
As we hinted at earlier, people’s smiles can differ for a wide range of reasons. Thankfully, we also offer a range of cosmetic services at our Falmouth, ME dentist office so you can make the changes you want to make to your smile.
Let’s take a closer look at some of those services and what they could do for you:
- Gum reshaping — Do you have parts of your smile where your teeth seem short? Do you have places where your gumline seems uneven or where your gum tissue seems to dominate your smile? You can take care of that so that your teeth are more prominent with a gum reshaping treatment.
- Tooth contouring — It’s also possible that you have some teeth that look larger or misshapen in some way. Removing some of your enamel can make a profound difference in your smile.
- Teeth whitening — This is arguably the most popular cosmetic services in the United States. Pay attention to how many “whitening” products you can find in the toothpaste aisle during your next shopping trip. Unfortunately, few commercial products can produce the kinds of results that most patients want. On the other hand, professional whitening is more powerful, can go deeper to remove stains that have taken years to develop, and change the color of your smile in less time than commercial products, too.
- Tooth bonding — During our everyday lives, we put a lot of wear and tear on our teeth. Bonding is an effective, fast, and safe way to fix chips, cracks, and other problems you may be facing.
- Invisalign® — Most people would love to have straight teeth, yet many people (in particular adults) have little or no interest in wearing braces. Brackets and wires work, but they can be a distraction if you a trying to talk business with a client or customer. Invisalign is a discreet way for many people to create the straight, beautiful smiles they dream of having. You can get these transparent aligners at our practice.
- Dental veneers — This may be the most versatile cosmetic service we offer at A Perfect Smile. In a way, veneers work a little like fake fingernails (only veneers can last for decades with proper care). They are custom-made to be bonded to the front of your teeth. Veneers can conceal a number of issues simultaneously from gaps between teeth and discolored teeth to crooked and broken teeth.
Talk to Us to Find Out How to Change Your Smile
You deserve to have a smile that you feel comfortable sharing in person and in pictures. If there is anything you would like to change about your teeth, then you owe it to yourself to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nelson at our Falmouth, ME practice.
You can discuss what you would like to change, and we can suggest the services that can help you create A Perfect Smile that you’ll want to show the world. To make your appointment, start by contacting us online or by calling (207) 536-3508.